Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Probiotics make you fat?

Le Quotidien du Médecin reports a French research team found that taking probiotics can make you fat. Taking Lactobacillus acidophilus is associated with ignificant wight gains in animals and people. That makes sense, as L. acidophilus is used to fatten up chickens. BUT, Lactobacillus gasseri was associated with weight loss in humans and animals. The report comes from a team led by Professor Didier Raoult and reported in Microbial Pathogenesis, published on line May 24,2012.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry but I have to disagree with your post here. Those French research team might have done something wrong about their research. I' telling this because I've been using probiotics supplements for more than a year already. Aside from the positive effects on my digestion, I also lost 10 pounds even if I'm not exercising regularly. Or, this may also depend on the nutritional type of a person.

    ReplyDelete